Some folks can feel the neck pain more when it coexists with shoulder aches. Others may experience worse shoulder pain or experience more activity limitations. Depending on the underlying pain cause, its also possible for the neck and shoulder discomfort to fluctuate in intensity during a range of activities.
Strain or sprain is the most frequent cause of concurrent discomfort in the neck shoulder pain. Las Vegas has excellent doctors and therapists, especially from The Center for Wellness & Pain Care of Las Vegas, who can help relieve this pain.
Mild to highly severe pain can be caused by:
- shooting pain
Pain in the neck and shoulders occasionally signals a heart attack or stroke. These are urgent medical situations that need assistance.
Gallstones and certain malignancies are rare causes of it.
Neck and shoulder pain causes
What Causes Neck Pain?
Causes of neck pain include:
- Abnormalities in the bone or joints
- Poor posture
- Degenerative diseases
- Muscle strain
What Causes Shoulder Pain?
Scientifically shoulder can ball and socket joint with a broad range of motion. Such a movable joint is typically more prone to damage. One or more of the following factors may be the root of your shoulder pain:
- Overexertion-related strains
- Shoulder joint instability
- Collarbone or upper arm bone fractures
- Tendonitis from overuse
- Frozen shoulder
- Pinched nerves (also called radiculopathy)
How Are Neck and Shoulder Pain Diagnosed?
- X-rays: Plain X-rays can show fractures, instability of the spinal column, tumours, slipped discs, arthritis-like disorders, narrowing of the spinal canal, and narrowing of the space between two spinal bones.
- MRI: This non-invasive technique can show the specifics of neurological (nerve-related) components and issues with tendons and ligaments.
- Myelography/CT scanning: Occasionally, one uses it in place of an MRI.
- Electrodiagnostic studies: Neck and shoulder discomfort, arm pain, numbness, and sometimes tingling gets cured using electromyography (EMG) and nerve conduction velocity (NCV).
How Are Neck and Shoulder Pain Treated?
Ibuprofen (Advil or Motrin) or naproxen(Aleve or Naprosyn) are common anti-inflammatory drugs used to treat soft tissue neck and shoulder pain. Also suggested are painkillers like acetaminophen (Tylenol). Medications like muscle relaxers and even antidepressants may be beneficial depending on the cause of the pain. You can also use localized cold or moist heat applications to relieve pain. For shoulder arthritis, local corticosteroid injections are frequently beneficial. Exercise may be helpful for pain in the shoulder and neck. Surgery may be required when the spinal cord or nerve roots are affected. Your doctor can advise you on your situation's best course of action.
The Center for Wellness & Pain Care of Las Vegas is your right choice here for treatment due to several reasons:
- They give immediate attention to the patient.
- They have the most efficient staff to handle the patients correctly.
- They follow the right set of treatment for every patient
We have included all the necessary details about neck shoulder pain. Las Vegas has good treatment centers for you, so check them out. You can also have therapies or home treatments for the same.